Thursday 29 June 2017

July's Puppet of the Month - 'Husky' from Call of Wild


Hello Husky. 

We hear you've been on a recent trip.
Yes. Mark just got back from a research trip in Alaska, re-tracing the steps of Jack London who wrote 'Call of the Wild'. He took me with him. 

How was that?
Absolutely loved it. I saw the midnight sun on the top of the midnight dome in Dawson City. And I had a nap on Jack London's bunk in his cabin.


Did you see any bears on your trip? 
I saw a grizzly and its cubs. Were I not on a boat at some distance, I would have been nervous. I have yet to outrun a bear.

What are you made from?
I've got a styrofoam head, plastazote trimmings, a wooden skeleton held together with webbing strips, and a jesmonite finish. 

Can you tell us about the Blind Summit show you were originally created for?
'Call of the Wild' in 2010 at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. They wanted a show for their 3rd year students, and Mark had always wanted to put the Jack London story on stage. The original idea stemmed from shadow puppetry, and that the arctic setting of the story would make the perfect backdrop.

Are you sure? I don't remember seeing you in that...
Well. The company had just done '1984' and were getting into the creative possibilities of folding cardboard. So I got junked and they went with a different style to create their 'cardboard arctic puppet ballet'. So no, I wasn't in it - but I was created for it. 

Well, we're glad you finally got to follow the call.


The start of our 8 hour bus ride

Sailing to Port Rupert


No comments:

Post a Comment